Wednesday, March 16, 2011
The common cold
I am just coming out of the insane haze that was what I assume 2011's version of the cold. It was scary effective. It came on so quickly I literally laid down for a Saturday nap, and woke up with a mean case of the next SARS virus. I couldn't believe how easily it took over, and at it's height, there was little I could do but grab another kleenex, rock back and forth in the fetal position, and scramble for my phone to text anyone who would reply to my garbled pleas for help.
I don't get sick very often, but this particular strain of illness was hardcore. Literally a freight train of disease and fever, mixed with congestion that lasted the better part of 4 days. Luckily AC was at her parents place for the first night of it, which turned out to be the worst besides the second night and third night.
So now that I'm conscious again, I'm on the hunt for some natural preventatives because honestly, I can't go through that again.
As I browse the latest medical journals for fresh thinking and remedies, and let me clarify, by medical journals I mean the internet, and by fresh thinking I mean, anything that makes sense, I begin to hear good things about natural preventative remedies. Fat load those will do me now, but perhaps I can pass on some of this new found wisdom. Woad Root ( Ban Lan Gen) tea, for instance. Traditional Chinese Medicine's natural flu combatant. Herb shop, you best take Visa. I'm buying an oxen cart load on Friday.
I'm also finding through the opposite of extensive research, that those damned cruciferous vegetables are supposedly all the rage for immune boosting. Booyah brussel sprouts, broccoli, turnips, and cabbage. Dr. Google also says that yogurt, onions and leeks, and orange vegetables are super-boosters designed to set you straight after a nasty bout with the common cold. Or, to eat all the time so you don't get a cold.
But back to the wisdom part. If you happen to find yourself in the path of a nasty cold like I did this weekend, and you want my meager advice, then prepare accordingly with Curb re-runs, hella kleenex, enough juice for a steroid and tupperware party, and of course your trusty daschund to entertain you with tail-chasing sessions.
But more than anything, don't be me. Eat healthy, and prevent this from happening to you. My paleo diet friends, who probably never get sick, will agree. But then, they don't eat gluten. I mean, for realz?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment